PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 20th Feb 2019, 13:05
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Donkeys

Mike. I struggle to understand which aspect of this unfortunate affair has anything to do with the letter painted on the side of the aircraft. Perhaps you could clarify.

The CAA is required to have oversight of all flying occurring in the UK FIR regardless of the registry of the aircraft concerned. If there is an issue with questionable charters, the issue is a lack of oversight in general, unless you are suggesting that the CAA somehow watches G reg ops like a hawk and ignores the N reg ops.

There are, in my view, two reasons why there is a proliferation of N reg in Europe, neither (directly) associated with cost.

1. The FAA flight crew licensing regime has been rock steady whilst we in the Uk have watched a dogs dinner unfold as we’ve moved from CAA to JAA to EASA to whatever next.

2. The FAA has historically been far faster to approve new technologies, making the register far more attractive to those operating more advanced aircraft.

The accident rate on the N reg fleet globally is far better than the G reg fleet (so far as these things can be compared) and the FAA has not been slow to act when circumstances require.

In situations like this, it is easy to point at the registry and claim that it has something to do with the events concerned. Right now, I see no link. Tell me why I am wrong.

You make some valid points 2D but of course many of these N reg aircraft are hidden away behind US trusts so that it is difficult to establish who the actual owner and operators are as in this case.

The Malibu was registered to a mailing address in Norfolk , a county where I have owned property for over 30 years. Earsham Hall is home to a number of small business’s all far removed from US aviation.Until recently I never knew it was a postbox for Delaware registration of aircraft.

Clearly as is the case with many N registered aircraft there is a desire on the part of the beneficiaries to hide their identity.

Clearly there is legislation that prevents me from driving a US registered car in the UK (members of the US airforce excepted) so why is an aircraft any different?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 20th Feb 2019 at 14:12.