PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 19th Feb 2019, 14:22
ShropshirePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn

Looking at the wider picture surely it is time for the FAA and CAA to legislate and abolish the abuse of this N flag of convenience.

Clearly the reason many UK based light aircraft operate on the FAA register is to exploit the fact that it is cheaper and less regulated. Here is Asia there is a rule whereby foreign registered aircraft can only stay in the country for a limited period.

Regarding agent’s part in the tragedy he clearly has passed the buck.

I am not a legal expert but I imagine one of ‘ his regular pilots ‘ has played a significant part in all this.
With respect to @Mike Flynn, there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to have an N reg within the UK on a long term basis. The FAA allow certain modifications that the CAA don't (don't ask me which - the engineer was very passionate about why the mod concerned was so excellent and couldn't fathom the CAA stance on it). I recently flew in an N Reg Comanche that was kept N reg for sentimental reasons (it was keeping it's original registration) and had the aformentioned modification or even several of them. It was the most immaculate machine I've ever seen and certainly well maintained. The FAA have different rules but I am not sure that N reg aircraft fall out of European skies any more frequently than G reg or IoM or CI registered aircraft. Let's try to have a reasoned debate not a knee jerk "something must be done" type responses?

If there are costs to be saved by being on the N reg (whether for the aircraft or the pilot) then presumably that frees up cash to allow more time perfecting the skills flying the machinery. More hours flying tends, for me, to mean better skills and safer operations.

Personally I prefer the discussion about causes, or possible causes of issues within aviation rather than legal conjecture on all sorts of things reported in the Sun newspaper!