PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASW and 1982 South Atlantic War
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2019, 17:07
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it would be very interesting if someone could write about UK ASW in the Falklands war.

On one side, the Nimrod Squadrons based on ASI, the helicopters of the 820 and 826 NAS on the aircraft carriers and, finally, the surface ships (and the helicopters based there). On the other side, submarines ARA San Luis and ARA Santa Fe, the later disabled near South Georgia, and the former attacked on May 1, 1982 north of Macbride Head. Of course, some whales, soviet submarines, etc, could also enter the "red side".

There were 235 recorded incidents, and 314 contacts were made. 20 mk.46 torpedoes, 7 mk.44, 39 Depth Charges and 15 mortar salvoes were fired / launched at suspected contacts. I am writing here just about the Royal Navy. Maybe the Nimrod (which were cleared for the brand new Stingray torps) could also increase this numbers.

Gents, this is the story of so many people, doing a very proffesional job in very hard conditions. A lot of people (me first) need to read about it. I am willing to help if someone wants to write about it.

Best regards!
Marian