View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2019, 20:54
Hussar 54

Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
I post without comment the following ITV item:

The airline (Flybmi) has faced several difficulties, including recent spikes in fuel and carbon costs, the latter arising from the EU’s recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.

Sympathies to everyone involved - especially to those who will wake up tomorrow morning without a job / income.

Small, very small, comfort, but I've often said that regular bouts of unemployment are as much a part of working as flight crew as medicals, sim sessions and type ratings. It's happened to probably 80% plus of flight crew at one time or another, but I don't know anyone who didn't eventually get back on to a flight deck with another company except those who didn't want to because they'd had enough of the accompanying uncertainty.

Anyway....Quoting FlyBMI's own Press Release, in 2018 they flew 522,000 passengers on 29,000 flights - an average of 18 passengers per flight or a Load Factor of about 40%.

Can I suggest that those numbers are far more responsible for today's events than Brexit, uncertainty over which type of Brexit, uncertainty over the UK's membership of EASA, rising fuel costs, EU Emission Trading Scheme, currency fluctuations , etc, etc and the other 101 reasons we've already heard or read about and will hear and read about over the next few days.