PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 16th Feb 2019, 14:50
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
On the insurance , if is interesting to see there seem to be a lot of lawyers, insurance experts here , but the reality is a bit different .

I just looked in my insurance certificate on my aircraft (registered in Germany) and it is all there . .
The insurance part has nothing to do with EASA( or FAA) in fact , it is up to each State in which you want to operate.into.,and it is the European Parliament that did set the rules in 2004 , ( Regulation EC no 785/2004 ) so , yes, in the EU , liability for 3rd party insurance it is mandatory and the minimum is set per weight (MTOW) . For my aircraft it is 1,5 Million SDR ( a SDR is a little bit more than 1 euro )
But individual states can ask for a higher amount , for instance in Austria it is 3 million. ( the highest in Europe) so if I want to fly only in my country and it only applies the legal minimum ( like in Germany) I can have an insurance of 1.5 Milion , but if I want to fly in the whole of Europe I must increase my insurance to cover 3 million, .
It does not matter where the aircraft is registered , it is operating in the country that counts , because each country can set its own values, even inside the EU / EASA land..
Don't worry I leaned also something today :-)

I already linked all this information several posts back without being a lawyer or an insurance agent......