PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Community service flights new rules
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2019, 11:00
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I said very early on in this discussion that no NVFR will be a problem in winter getting volunteers to take on a flight/mission (call it what you want). The very reason being who can either afford the time off work or cost of overnighting somewhere all because you can't complete that last hour getting home? Most treatments by the time the patient signs in and gets set up will mean they don't get back to the city airport until around 5 pm. Most country flights will be 1 to 2 hours duration is my guess going on past experiance, meaning you are not going to get home before last light. Just what is the issue with NVFR anyway? Engine failure, loss of horizon,etc? I have been flying NVFR for 30 odd years and as long as you abide by the rules with enhanced VMC minima and lowest safe it is not an issue. If CASA wanted to be seen doing something about this scary ( to them ) night flying then make the minimum hours required say 50 or 100 at night before you could undertake it as a CSF.
My guess now will be one of two things will happen. Pilots will walk away from all day trips or do the inbound trip as a CSF and the outbound as a private NVFR flight on a sartime or flight note. CASA in my view in their stupidity are encouraging normal law abiding pilots with charitable hearts to flout the rules.
Again so unnecessary.