PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OSM Iraq & Syria - Updated Qualification Criteria
Old 15th Feb 2019, 21:30
Training Risky

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01

And that’s what irks me with th current system a little Herod. You don’t think you’ve earned them, but you clearly have otherwise you wouldn’t have them under our rather parsimonious system. I know it’s the military way to have had the hardest/ most uncomfortable / dangerous tour ever, and anyone who didn’t was clearly malingering in Stores whilst their laundry went forward, but those days are over, and thankfully we are now starting to recognise operational service that has value and contributes to U.K. national objectives. Yes there will be the odd tour here and there that people luck into, swan around for a bit and a medal comes up with the rations, but they are the exception and for the most part of you get a campaign medal it’s because you’ve played a part in moving the proverbial drinks cabinet that bit closer to the objective. As my CO said in Helmand in 06 when I was in JHF(A) - whatever you do, know you’re involved in writing history.

Living in a puddle for 9 months, getting bayoneted at least once a week whilst storming gun positions before breakfast just isn’t how we do warfare anymore and this is what this - hopefully precedent settting - change recognises. Wear your gongs with pride. Having served on the SH Force as a JO I know damn well you’ve earned them.
hear hear Melchett. You blotter jotter office boy! 😀
​​​​