PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:52
116d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pholling

I have never been able to figure out why there isn't more UK-MCO traffic during the autumn and winter half terms and Easter. A much better time to get your Mickey fix, especially the half-term breaks when all the Americans are in school. Anyhow, VS's UK-US ops are now very much in the hands of the planners in ATL. So any changes there are well thought through by those folks. Now that DL and AF/KL have the vast majority of shares I would imagine similar treatment will be given to other ops, which were only partially controlled by ATL in the past.

As for lightning, that always closes the ramp. Can't place or remove the jet bridge, fuel, or unload/load baggage for the duration. A pain, but everyone is equally affected.
I currently don't have kids and completely agree with you. I've been in September a couple of times shortly after Labour Day and providing you accept the fact that you may be impacted by a hurricane due to the time of year, you are rewarded with 25-30c temperatures and more comfortable levels of humidity, cheaper accommodation rates and much shorter queues at the parks (so much so you can get on some rides more than once within a short space of time whereas a few weeks prior you could be waiting for over an hour or so). Ditto with Mediterranean destinations - quieter, cheaper but the weather generally just as good/more comfortable than a few weeks prior.

Lightning disruption can be a pain, but I fully respect any decision taken due to the risks. They deal with lightning on a far more regular basis than us Brits, so I acknowledge that they wouldn't be hiding inside just because they feel like it and they know what they're doing.