PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western NSW Airlines MU2 crash Bathurst 1990?
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:19
TWOTBAGS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was on the ramp at Bathurst when this happened.
The pilot came barrelling over the top of the ramp at about 300ft in a 45deg turn trying to turn to the north east to teardrop onto 17, he pulled to tight and stalled/mushed onto the western flyover area.

The fuselage was not breached, the load shifted and the pilots foot was stuck under the rudder pedals, I was told that he asphyxiated by smoke inhalation as he could not get out and as you cant open the front side windows in a ricerocket.

It was pretty distressing because no one could do anything even after the fireies showed up and even more so that the Eastern flight (I want to say a bandit or maybe a junkstream) landed about 10 min later and it was cavok within about half an hour.

Anecdotally, part of the problem was that the MU2's were doing longer BN-SY-ML sectors until only a few weeks before and then they were put on the western runs. The crew went from 90mins plus in CTA to a 19min BK-BTH sector OCTA SPIFR

The swiss cheese certainly lined up that day.