PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you fund your training?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:07
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tobias0501
Although the salary can be attractive, it’s not the reason I want to do it! It’s been a dream as a child and I love flying and a job where you’re flying all the time, travelling to different places, on a big jet would be awesome! It’s just the getting there to be qualified and in a job!

i’m keeping my eye out for sponsorships ect, but considering doing a ppl for now to give me a head start!
I wasn't necessarily implying that money is one of the best things about an aviation career, I wouldn't know since I'm still saving up myself. However, the unfortunate reality is that, with the exception of a couple of mentored/sponsored programs, you'll need to be able to fund your training. I'd say you'd want to be saving at least £1k per month, even then it'll take you a couple of years before you can realistically start. Some people take out unsecured loans to cover part of the training, though I'd say there is a risk to that. Basically, you're going to need a good job to fund your training, the railway is one of the career options I'd recommend for that, it also helps that in itself it is a relatively fun place to be and will offer some great examples for interview questions.