PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you fund your training?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 14:48
TRENT210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tobias0501
I come from abit of a tricky background and struggling to see how to fund the training. I work in a small shop on an okay salary, but have weekly rotas, so working 2 jobs is nearly impossible, and with that there isn’t a huge amount of part time work in my area to be able to go too.

My parents split, and cost a fortune to my dad, which is who I live with. And barely have a connection to my mum these days (not that she could fund it).

I have to pay a subsantial amount of rent due to my dad being retired, this means that what i can save monthly is very very little (sub £500).

Being a pilot has been my dream ever since a young lad, and as time progresses, I feel less and less likely that my dream could come true..

If BBVA were still around with the loans, i’d probably be on flight training right now. But because of the sheer lack of funding available it’s not an option.

(Not looking for sympathy, more advice if you were in my situation!)
Unless you’re already working crazy hours there’s usually time to squeeze in a few more if you find the right employer.

I highly recommend fast food delivery jobs (Dominoes, Pizza Hut etc) or bar / restaurant work. These jobs usually suit part time hours where the nature of the industry means they can’t offer full time hours. Where I worked around 50% of the staff were working there as a second job to top up their income for mortgages, holidays etc.

To give you an idea of what I worked...

Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:00 - Office job
3-4 weekday evenings 17:15 - 23:00 - Delivery Driver (I’d also work Sunday 2-3 weekends a month)
Friday & Saturday Night I worked in a restaurant kitchen.

If you’re shop job roster is restricting you might want to consider looking for something else with more a more stable roster. Whether you like the job or not. Do you want to be still working there in 5 years or flying ?

Last edited by TRENT210; 12th Feb 2019 at 14:55. Reason: Spelling