PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada drops Air Georgian
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 14:41
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both Jazz and Air Georgian Pilots are represented by ALPA, so it will depend on how the transfer of planes and people is handled. I’ve not seen the newest Jazz agreement, so take the following with a grain of salt as I’m willing to be corrected based on the new agreement. I’ve only seen two ALPA contracts and currently work under one, but am not a Rhodes scholar when it comes to such things.

If the pilots groups are merged, then there is language in an ALPA contract that deals that. It would likely result in a Date of Hire (DOH) merger where it is possible a Georgian pilot would become more senior than a Jazz pilot. There will also be language in the contract to handle two or more pilots who have the same DOH. This can be messy, but is ultimately fair for two groups sharing the same union.

If the groups are not merged, and the pilots simply hired by Jazz, then the Georgian pilots would take their place at the bottom of the list, but in the order of seniority they held at Georgian, but now based on DOH at Jazz.

For example, if #1 on the Georgian list is in “class 1” at Jazz, that person would get the first slot because of ALPA rules (anyone from a non-ALPA shop then draws their number). If, however, #1 on the Georgian list is in “class 5,” that person will still be awarded the first slot in their class, but would now be x-number of seniority numbers below where they would have been had they joined day 1.

Again, grain of salt as someone with specific knowledge might be able to better clear up my general knowledge.