PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US HEMS Accident
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2019, 14:05
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
The Rule!

Notice the emphasis upon "Person" and "That Person" in the Regulation.

So...while you are out risking life and limb of yourself and the Med Crew....you reach an area that has no surface lighting within sight....and it is an overcast night....and there are no headlights, tail lights or hunters out spot lighting deer for you see.......what do you do?

You divert to a route that allows keeping the required surface reference. I routinely planned to follow routes that maximized the possibility of surface lighting and avoided areas where it was more likely to be difficult. If the plan is in place from takeoff, considerable diversions, say a 20 mile diversion mid-leg on a 100 mile route requires a mere 4 minute penalty (117 kn cruise) making 0:51 into 0:55. I've spent more time waiting for the hospital to get the pad cleared, not to mention performing high recons on a remote lz while the ground people get stuff organized.

Or you abort- just like ceilings and vis, that light is a required minimum. "If you wouldn't go for a box of rocks...' was the cliche used in company orientation.

NVGs make maintaining that single light contact much, much easier in that the smallest light is visible and from much farther away. I have flown nights in which I NVGs showed lights on the ground that were not visible with the naked eye, recent 'controlled burns' of managed forests with remaining embers spring to mind. I believe I could also see personal electronics, watch and cell phone faces from miles away as well with NVGs, there were certainly more lights visible aided than unaided.

Descending to maintain visual reference in adverse weather is a trap. It is an especially dangerous practice for VFR nights. One needs other parameters in the decision before you even consider 'down'. How low will you allow yourself to descend? How quickly do you want to descend? Wanting down quickly is a very, very bad sign. Are there likely to be surface references after the descent? Are you 100% certain that the issue is temporary? Are you slowing from maximum cruise to deal with vis? Another big, BIG indicator that it's really time to quit.