PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2019, 08:45
rog747

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
RSA flights

Originally Posted by PAXboy
rog747 Thanks for the great run down about JNB + CPT. I often did the open jaws and did not mind the daylight return as the view of the Sahara never fails to delight.

I have lived in ZA and have family and friends there still, so do understand about the fraud problem BUT to leave this lucrative market to their arch enemy? Astonishing.

I agree that the 744s were always well populated and the 346s. As well as the carriers you mention, Condor and TCA have piled in. It has to be some of the strangest behaviour by an airline that I have seen.
No probs - you seem to know the RSA situation too - my UK pals have homes in Fresnaye and Clifton beach... They go like Swallows to the South with the coming of each Northern winter...

Cannot see VS going back to CPT -
That ship has sailed for VS long ago, despite the CPT flight arrivals board over this weekend looking like a summer Saturday at Ibiza !
With in bound wide bodies from KLM AF OS LH x 2 BA x 3 OS DE TCK Edelweiss (AMS CDG VIE FRA x 2 MUC VIE ZRH LHR x 2 LGW x 2)
Directs from IST with TK and big stuff from ME and African hubs, and Asia EK QR ET MK SQ CX KQ x 2 from NBO and VFA (a KLM connection)

As you know VS now double daily to JNB (could have told them 20 years ago to do that)
BA up to 3 a day to JNB - 2 x A380, (plus they now serve DUR again, and 3 daily to CPT, 2 are 747's)

Whilst poor old SAA now only now one A330 to JNB
Seems SAA leased the other LHR slot, with CPT slot sold years ago - how long will SAA last -
Germany flights to/from CPT are now operated only by LH on a code share.

Condor have been a solid operator to CPT from Germany for many years (along with LTU, the Germans love the winter sun) and now seasonally TCK UK have joined the fun and seem to be doing well with it.