PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 kenya airways e190 collide
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2019, 19:05
aeromech3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White Knight
As smart as the Engineers think they are, they should NOT be at the controls of any aeroplane!!!!!!!!!
I don’t pretend that I can change gaskets or top the oil up on a GP7270E.........
In my over 40 years of aircraft maintenance experience since 1969, including on wing engine testing (RB211), I have never had the pleasure of a 'Pilot' at the controls. The 1st aircraft I have seen jump chocks during power runs, was a BEA Comet 4 at Heathrow which embedded itself in a hangar door . Sadly Engineers seldom get the chance to experience power runs in a live simulator but then Pilots probable never carry out a full power run with wheels chocked and hand brake set on a live aircraft in the confines of a maintenance base. I have had aircraft move in the later condition but luckily controlled before striking any ground objects. Dry conditions with better designed chocks might have prevented this occurrence in a clear run up area also if the maintenance personnel were taking readings, head down, they might well have not sensed the aircraft movement and been able to pull back power and apply foot brakes in time.