PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luckily the dead engine wasn't dead after all.
Old 10th Feb 2019, 09:33
RVF750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shackeng
Precisely why I suggest 'proving' engines while still at a safe height before the approach, under all conditions, after failure or not, is a sound idea. Of course this normally happens at busy airports anyway, but not always, and it may be very satisfying for a pilot to arrange their approach and landing such that the first application of power required after TOD is at the flare.
Nice. If the first application is at the flare, that's a bit irrelevant, as that's where you normally close the levers. I get what you're after though. The modern trend for CDAs is driven by noise around airports and other fuel driven causes. It's slick, but in reality, power is at about 42-60% for most of the final approach, certainly on CFM types.

It really is a bad day out if it happens, and cool headed judgement, calm demeanour and logic are key to successful outcomes in many cases. Like nearly everyone else here, I just hope I don't get tested on this for real. A friend recently did and passed with honours.