PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual flying qualification - pilot/navigator
Old 9th Feb 2019, 23:17
5aday

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started as an AEOp on Shacks in Ballykelly,and AEOp Dryman in Malta - and in civilian life as a Pilot on a wide range of twin turbines followed by B747.100 to 400 series and B737,B757 and B767 (all in Maersk Air and British Airways .and as a TRE and IRE ( Fixed Wing) and at the same time. Then in the VR as Dryman AEOp from 1986 until 1994 at Kinloss,and finally retiring from flying in 2002. As an aside I ran a weather information system from 1996 until 2016 in Formula 1 For McLaren, Jordan, and finally Renault unti 2016,
Le Mans Series and DTM, plus 5 years at the Lawn Tennis at wimbledon, and another five years at the Opera in Verona. It was a busy life with five radar rigs circulating Europe and three sets following F1 around the world in containers.As an aside I was on the Nimrod MK3 AEW as test team on the Comet XV626 for a couple of years as Marconi Eliott Avionic Systems Staff down the back end.. And I installed a radar system on a flower farm in Tarlton, near Johannesberg in South Africa. I did all my licences at CSE Oxford .
and paid for them myself by part time work (non flying)
After finishing with the Nimrod and Shackleton fleet, the only Navigator was on the AEW Comet (Reg Castle?) or the occasional pax who wanted to see how he had been replaced on the Boeings.
As and aside my favorite opera was Nabucco and I had a beautiful villa beside Lake Garda while doing the approximate four months of Opera each year.
Oh, and I forgot - I ferryed new aeroplanes for De Havilland Canada out of Downsview, Toronto
I'm 71 now and wouldn't have missed a single thing.

Last edited by 5aday; 10th Feb 2019 at 05:49. Reason: A bit more script.