PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK15 Diverting to MAN from LGW
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2019, 12:09
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
I listened to the Hong Kong Approach frequency during a typhoon. One airliner, from the middle east, had gone around three times from runway 13 at Kai Tak. The eye of the typhoon passed right through Kowloon harbour and a runway change was carried out. The wind was gusting to 90 kts! By then it was possible to discern the increasing tension in the tone of the pilot's radio transmissions. He requested fuel priority and because the ILS for the reciprocal, runway 31 was taking a little time to come online, ATC offered him a PAR approach to runway 31.

The pilot was obviously confused by this and after a pause (presumably to confer with the captain) he declared that they didn't have any PAR equipment* fitted! Only at that stage did they decide to divert!

* For those who don't know, a PAR is a Precision Approach Radar letdown. No equipment is required to be fitted to any aircraft because the pilot just listens to continuous ATC glidepath and centreline information given during the descent and makes the appropriate left/right and descent corrections suggested.

I made a mental note not to fly with that airline...
If I say PAR approach to our new pilots, I get blank stares in return. Last time I did one was in 1990.
The last SRE approach I did was 1991 (I think) into LHR RWY 23.
I don’t think these approches are covered in our manuals anymore. Never been offered a PAR approach into a civilian airport.
EK carry large amounts of economy fuel from DXB. Remember the A380 that did 3 approcahes to MAN before diverting to LHR? How much fuel did he carry for that exercise?