PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much of being a fighter pilot do you believe is genetic?
Old 7th Feb 2019, 15:48
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quantify
This is a honest question, there are various genetic qualities you need:
  • Super-tasker - only 2.5% of world population are these (They are true multi taskers, not micro managers like most are). This can be improved on to an extent however, a super tasker's brain is wired differently and one cannot train to be a super tasker (naturals), at least not yet. Although there was an F-16 pilot who claimed he struggled with multitasking and had to work harder than most of this other colleagues.
  • Psychomotor - this can be improved to an extent
  • Your body structure - short and stubby, not a long neck will sustain high G's (Yes not all fighter pilots are short and stuby, I've met a F-35 test pilot who was quite tall and slim and yes you can make yourself bulk but a short heart to brain distance is advantageous)
  • Spatial reasoning - slightly genetic, can be improved with training
Certainly I'm not taking anything away from fighter pilots and saying that there is no hard work involved in the career, but it seems there are many genetic gifts you must posses to even get to the training itself. I'm also not saying that fighter pilots are born, I still firmly believe they are made.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
quantify,

The following link is to a thesis by norwegian testpilot "Timber" He was the first norwegian F-35 pilot and F-35 squadron commander. He made a thesis about the shift of skills required in the F-35 cockpit compared to 4th generation jets. Unfortunately most of the text is in norwegian, but the summery is in english. Maybe you can translate the text with google. To sum it up, future F-35 pilots will need better skills in areas like processing wast amount of information and skills like psychomotoric will not be as important as in existing platforms, as the plane is much easier to fly then earlier generations.

https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2436208/MA_Harlem_2016.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y

Even though it is in norwegian, you might be able to get some useful information by looking at his bibliography. I hope it points you in the right direction.
I hope it will answer some of your questions.

Last but not least, and will all the replies you have got until now from people who didn't tell you they are fighterpilots, this joke comes to mind:

Never ask a man if he is a fighter pilot. If he is, he'll let you know. If he isn't, don't embarrass him.....

Last edited by F-16GUY; 7th Feb 2019 at 15:58.