PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 14:19
The Mixmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VOR.DME
I've been reading this thread for longer than I care to remember and I have a few things to throw into the mix regarding the gripes people seem to have with BA.

At a regional airline in the UK, the pay deal initially offered gave Captains a one off four-figure sum and left the person in the right hand seat with nothing. Naturally, BALPA members voted quite overwhelmingly to reject this offer. A new offer was tabled which was 1.29% for every member of flight crew. This was accepted by members.

With regards to complaints about working every weekend and changing from earlies to lates. At a regional airline in the UK, there is no fixed pattern roster. You will go from six earlies with one day off to five lates with two or three days off. It can also work in reverse (six lates with two days off to five earlies, thereby giving you the minimum amount of time off). There are stories of captains working seven days in a row because there is such a shortage (and this is the winter schedule, bear in mind). Many of the shifts worked are frequently four, five or six-sector days. Some of the duties rostered leave crews with 10 minutes extra over the minimum 12 hours rest. Factor in the drive home...

There are stories of crews who are operating out of base for several days at a time to cover the shortfalls. Forget seeing your family grow up!

There are a number of other things that could be mentioned, however in the spirit of remaining anonymous, I'll leave it there.

Now tell me why BA is so bad?
So because BA is slightly less sh*t the gripes are less valid? You lost us all when you started comparing BA to a regional UK carrier. Compare KLM/Lufthansa/Air France work life balance and pay on their SH fleets with BA’s and then get back to us.

Last edited by The Mixmaster; 7th Feb 2019 at 17:56.