PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 6th Feb 2019, 15:59
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzarno

I no longer have an image of my old JAA licence but can confirm that it had no such rating / privilege. I did a separate night rating before going to the US to do the IR I referred to in my earlier post.
There is a huge difference between not having a rating/privilege to perform a flight operation and not being authorized to perform that flight operation because of a limitation or restriction on one's licence. For example, I am rated commercial multi-engine land and single engine sea. I am not authorized to fly multi-engine sea but my licence does not say "Flight in multi-engine sea prohibited".

This is why I am so interested in actually seeing a UK PPL with no night or instrument ratings. If it does have the actual words "Day VFR only", or similar, then flight in IMC would not be allowed using an FAA 61.75 with an instrument rating. It is not allowed, according to the regulation as written, because it is prohibited by a restriction / limitation of the base UK licence. If, however, the base UK licence grants Day VFR privileges solely because there is no night rating and no instrument rating then the 61.75 with IR would allow operation under IFR in IMC.