PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the grass really greener? Perspectives from an escapee.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 21:57
tmtxpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadflies
Living in a major Canadian city, is not cheap I pay $1600 a month for 800sq ft pad nowhere near the airport I work out of. It’s a 2 hour drive in rush hour for me. Granted Hong Kong is more expensive.. so let’s call the increase in pay as a SO a wash for the cost of living.
You mentioned 800sq ft - may I ask if that was meant to stress how small the pad is? In Hong Kong, families rarely live in a flat as big as 800 sq ft. If you want something this size in Tung Chung, which is right next to the airport, it is CAD 3600 per month minimum. Half an hour on the bus from there to the briefing room, but on your days off what are you going to do? Takes you one hour on the metro to get into town. Since CX SOs only do long haul flights they fly very little per month, and you are coming for the lifestyle, perhaps you would like to consider living a bit downtown? I will name a few places along the edge of downtown i.e. 15 mins away on the metro, namely Olympic, Kennedy Town, Happy Valley. You are looking at CAD 7000-8000 per month for these ones.

A while ago there was an urban myth some of the CX SOs live in Hokkaido, Japan and used staff travel to commute to Hong Kong for work because "that was the only affordable dignified accommodation option for their salary".