PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AC and WJ upgrade time
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 17:04
altiplano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's true the 4 year flat is horrendous... stolen from our ranks by Raitt and Harper who bought the bull**** bluff from Rovinescu in 2012.

It's also likely close to true "lowest paid 777 FOs on the planet" or at least in the civilized world...

Many of us paid our dues to get here... that's the game... the cycle... doesn't mean you can think less of those who expedited through the 'lower' echelons of the business without getting too much sh!t on their shoes... I know lots of the top senior guys at AC who came here almost ab initio... and sure they oiled on the DC8 or L1011 or 727 or whatever for 6 or 8 years before they got a flying seat on the -9 for another 8 or 10 before they got on the 747 right seat or whatever... but guaranteed they were making an adjusted income higher all along than what any FO in the company makes today with affordable home prices and reasonable COL... let alone flat pay in YYZ or YVR... and now some of these guys are sitting at the top of the sh!t pile for an extra 5 years... and they joined when they were 25 or under... I have a buddy senior to me, told me he made more as a 747FO 20 years ago (capped 75 hour months too) than in any position he was in at the airline until just recently as a 767CA with a bunch of OT. Any position at the airline ain't what it used to be...

I get what you're saying 737NOTGOOD... some junior guys had it easy to get here recently and need to keep the perspective of the challenges some of us went through to get here even 10 years ago... and that's the cycle... a recession will come, a downturn will come and it will be 20 years in the business just to be a captain on a -8 again... but here ain't what it used to be either... you can't say "lucky you... grin and bare it"... we all have to respect the position from top to bottom and realize it doesn't matter where you were or, how long it took you to join AC, you are here now and we all need to be making it the best we can.

It's a good job - despite the 4 year flat - doesn't mean it can't be better... doesn't mean it hasn't fallen behind from where we were or where our peers are at... we can't forget that because some joining are only 5 years in the business or whatever.