PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of serious incident in Suffolk
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 14:01
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Reports of serious aircraft incident in Suffolk

Emergency services are dealing with a 'serious incident' after reports of a light aircraft coming down in a field.

The incident happened shortly before 12pm today and has three fire crews have been called to the site.

Essex Police have described it as a 'serious incident' on the boarder of Essex and Suffolk, at Belchamp Walter.

It is understood there is a small private landing strip close to the area of the incident.

The only airstrip in the village is Waits Farm
Five fire crews from Essex are currently at Bells Road, Belchamp Walter dealing with what is described as an “aircraft incident”.

There is a small private landing strip close to the site, which is four miles west of Sudbury and about five miles from Great Yeldham, itself over the border in Essex.

An Essex Police spokesman said they were attending a “serious incident” after being called on Sunday at about 11.50am.

They could not say if there were any casualties.

A dog walker told Essex Live they saw “fumes and smoke" close to the site of the reported crash.

Another eyewitness said: "I saw an aircraft of some sort crash into the field. I’m not sure if it was a micro blade or a light aircraft.

"A helicopter did land in the field, there has been lots of police and services. I’m sure they’ve got it in hand."

It is believed police have set up an incident room at the Belchamp Walter village hall, Essex Live reports.

A local farmer told Express.co.uk: "I heard all the fire and ambulance sirens. My daughter said it was possibly a plane.

"I hope nobody is hurt. It's about one field away from us.

"There is an airstrip there. It is used by various light aircraft. There have been other light aircraft flying around since then."

Belchamp Walter is around three miles west of Sudbury, Suffolk and along the A131 from Halstead.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said they sent four fire engines to the scene while another three have been sent from the Suffolk brigade. An air ambulance also landed at the scene, which is close to a private landing strip.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/plane-in...er-1-5877523?x

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ming-down.html

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 3rd Feb 2019 at 15:08.