PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB identify reason BMI plane skidded off Bristol Airport runway
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 09:28
acbus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAIB identify reason BMI plane skidded off Bristol Airport runway

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...re-100-2414582

December 2017. AAIB report apparently just out.

Skidded off Bristol runway, travelling 120 metres along the grass. Thankfully, nobody hurt, Multiple diversions while it was dug out and moved.

Control was lost by the pilot as the emergency brake was mistakenly selected rather than the speed brake, according to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).

Captain under training, As if that's a valid "reason". Or was the Training Captain also under training? (I obviously jest...I hope).

Scotches the "theories" posted on the Spotters Corner forum. No idea why it started there; out of widespread view, perhaps?

IIRC, not the first time Business Air/bmi regional has been involved in an incident and not the first time involving landings.

Can anyone locate a report of a Business Air (now bmi Regional) Saab landing so heavily it allegedly tore the wheels off? Supposedly at East Midlands Airport, some time ago, IIRC.

Reminds me, if I'm correct, of a bmi Airbus some time ago that landed at Leeds with the parking brake applied. Nobody hurt was the main thing. Must've stopped pretty sharpish; burst main tryres; closed the airport. Wasn't the "reason" along the lines of the pilot responsible being so nervous of landing at Leeds he made the mistake of setting the park brake to on before landing?

In my humble opinion, it's "interesting" to see the bmi name continuing as it so tragically left off.

...arguably in more respects than one.

Last edited by acbus1; 3rd Feb 2019 at 09:53.