PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow-3
Thread: Glasgow-3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 16:49
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willy wombat
Going back to the rail link issue, I normally fly into and out off EDI but last summer I had an evening flight from GLA. I had been warned the M8 would be busy so left plenty time but I was amazed at how congested the M8 was and would agree with the view that some sort of rail link, probably light rail, is needed. As an émigré Scot living in SE England who has connections with both the East and the West Coast, I have no axe to grind (other than wanting to be able to use both EDI and GLA with ease) but it does seem to me odd that Edinburgh can massively overspend on half a tram system (and now be talking about building the other half) whereas Glasgow can't get a (light) rail link to the airport. Is there a bias in favour of Edinburgh as it's where the MSPs hang out?
Unless Glasgow can sort out it's town centre lack of links between bus and train termini, building a new railway that terminates at Central Station is not going to be attractive to luggage laden travellers.
Scotland has an abundance of green electricity. Electric powered taxis should have a fast way route reserved for them to the airport and rail mounted chargers could be plugged into as they wait at the airport rank. Electric taxis from outwith Renfrewshire that have bought a permit should be allowed to use this rank that would be built into the airport.