Old 1st Feb 2019, 18:01
  #931 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: TL487591
Posts: 1,639

I fear that you are mis-interpreting that letter, which is relatively well known in air-law circles.

Your original 'grey area' relates to somebody operating an N-reg, with both a UK PPL, and a US part 61.75 license based on that UK licence. They are free to do that anywhere in the world.

The letter refers to a different situation - namely, a UK pilot flying an N-reg aircraft elsewhere EASA land, with his UK-issued EASA licence. No 61.75 piggyback licence. Here he is attempting to place reliance on FAR 61.63(1)(v)

The FAA opinion is that even an EASA licence has a country of issue (such as the UK), and that whilst this will allow such a licence to be used to fly an N-reg in the UK (in this example), it would not allow the pilot to fly the aircraft in another EASA European country. For that, he would need, either:

1) an FAA licence (61.75 or native); or

2) another EASA licence issued in the country in which he is now flying.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by 2Donkeys; 1st Feb 2019 at 18:28.
2Donkeys is offline