PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Type 31/ Cadet TX Mk.3
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2019, 16:56
Penny Washers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like everyone else, I did my training on the 'Berg and the T31. But my first solo was on a Mark I Cadet, because the other aircraft were in use at the time. I was sent off with lots of warnings ringing in my ears about adverse yaw (which was a feature of the model), but nothing came amiss, except for being towed up straight into lift! That can mess up a simple circuiit! Do you turn early to get out of the lift, or do you carry straight on at the top of the tow until the lift goes away? But it all worked out, anyway.
On another occasion, I was nearly towed under a truck which was driven across in front of me as the tow line was tightening and the T31 was beginning to move. The truck fortunately cleared as I left the ground, but the instructor on the ground had shouted "stop" and the signaller to the winch had relayed this to the winch driver, thus giving me a "cable break" for real. We neither of us thought to 'pull the tit' which would have been the proper thing to do.
The truck driver would have owed me a whole crate of beers after that, but of course I was too young.