PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 1st Feb 2019, 13:17
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The grey area appears to be flying an N reg outside the USA on an airmans certificate linked to a UK licence.

I recall busting the airspace around the Woomera rocket range in Australia flying an N reg Lance from Ayers Rock across the outback in 1989. On landing at Port Augusta I was asked to phone Adelaide who berated me,asked for my Aussie licence details (I had none at the time), and let me go because they had no jurisdiction. They were a bit shocked when asked for my point of departure and I replied Detroit.

However Australia did not allow N reg aircraft to be operated by residents for longer than a year.I had to change the the aircraft and my licences to comply.

That is to avoid US registration disguising aircraft owners behind shell companies using it as a flag of convenience.

Most of the current fleet of N reg UK based aircraft are rarely owned by US citizens.

The FAA certificate is clearly linked to the UK licence so surely the buck stops with the CAA?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 1st Feb 2019 at 13:34.