PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 29th Jan 2019, 19:32
keni010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Watcher .... There seem to be many possibilities for this tragedy and the fact that no Mayday call was made (?) is significant. One possibility could be that the pilot had a massive heart attack for example ... this would certainly explain the absence of a Mayday call. But the icing which you mention as a possibility seems very unlikely to me. If the aircraft had been at 5000 feet and then descended to around 2,300 feet as reported, and I assume it was travelling at cruise speed, is it likely that icing would have caused a stall? Yes, had he been at low airspeed, for example on an approach, I could see that as a possibility but for an aircraft to stall due to ice build up, at a cruising speed of around 170 knots+ at that height ... I doubt that ... but then I'm no expert. A massive build up of ice could cause the stall you refer to but is this massive build up likely in that location at that time and at that height?
I have no idea what the weather reports said for that time, have you read anything on this matter?