PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 29th Jan 2019, 19:06
TRUTHSEEKER1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keni010
My point was more to do with this pilot apparently not considering staying over land for as long as possible, thus making the intended channel crossing as short as possible. This wouldn't have taken the plane far off of it's direct route, the route it looks like it took and which led to the plane being over the open sea when whatever problem occurred. It appears that had he done this (and assuming an engine failure was the problem), then he would probably have been able to make a forced landing on the French mainland ... not an easy thing to do at night of course but a far better option than being forced to ditch in the open sea.
If it was some kind of structural failure which occurred then there was nothing that could have been done of course but the chances of that occurring are statistically very small indeed.
At this point it would seem that no one (outside of investigators & ATC) has any idea what the actual routing was? Mention's of Burhou Island & Casquets have been in some reports so on that basis I doubt it was just a 'point and go' flightplan. My guess is the BRILL waypoint / Casquets VRP was on the Flightplan ( depending on the STATUS of the Flightplan? ).