PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Cost sharing’ websites.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2019, 10:35
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
I try to relate this to how competent I actually was when "just qualified" at PPL level (over 45 years ago) = not very competent!

I qualified for a PPL at the age of 17-18. I then joined the RAF and underwent basic flying training, followed by advanced flying training. The "wings" award didn't come until I had over 250 hours in total and by then I held instrument ratings on four different types of aircraft.

The training was far more intense than any PPL has to go through. With just over 300 hours of experience in total I arrived at my first squadron. I was then required to undergo six months of close supervision before being deemed "combat ready".

The thought of a newly qualified and possibly over confident hours builder (because that is what most of them are) flying unwitting, fare paying passengers is extremely worrying to say the least.

Sadly, the "Whoa!" factor will probably not come from the CAA, who seem to have stood back from their responsibility in this respect, but from the insurance companies.