PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 28th Jan 2019, 17:16
r2D4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomnod

Originally Posted by Downwind Lander
Does anyone know what happened to Tomnod, the people who acquired satellite images and asked the community to examine them for tell tale signs of anything useful? (No sign at tomnod.com)
I'm just preparing a note from the Tomnod forum...

There is and has been interest in this incident, but not surprisingly no requests for the service...
Several people have come onto the forum and suggested something be done and they have been directed to the
appropriate channels... but there are limits to the possibilities...

I'm going to bring a posting over with permission from that site moderator...

=====
Post by the Tomnod Forum Moderator. 2019/01/26 14/29
(Reposted here with their permission.)
_____
Imaging costs are pretty expensive, plus it requires a re-tasking of where to image.
The way things have been explained before, satellites continuously image in long strips and send those when it “phones home”. These are pre-set routes over areas, or per paid customers’ needs.
HOWEVER, remember last year when Melissa (Staff) told us that the satellites typically do NOT do pre-set routes over bodies of water, because water is NOT what customers usually want.
So, sometimes, like Hurricane Maria, Tomnod must REQUEST a re-tasking and they get it in during short pauses in other tasking. This request has a cost, which DG must absorb (now Maxar). Then, they still must process the strips, stitch them together and make them as if bent around a globe shape, and cut out most of the excess water scenes, etc-- all of which costs money for Staff to do, They also must make sure they have pre images in the archives (or the campaign could be useless for Nodders).
All of these tidbits go into their review of requests, plus what ground / water / air authorities say about the viability of a campaign— plus their own knowledge of what works. With no intention of being mean, I repeat that the chances of finding a private plane that crashed over // into water (even a small area) where local authorities have called off SAR, is so slim.
It’s sad, like when the sub went missing. It’s tough to try to explain why DG might not be able to do what we want, even though everyone feels the pain of friends, family, loved ones.
_____

Check out the Platform. Come join us in the Forum!
Platform: www dot tomnod dot com
Forum: forum dot tomnod dot com
Forum topic: forum dot tomnod dot com/t/plane-crash-soccer-player-emiliano-sala/5907

=====

That is what the situation is... Timing is a lot of the problem... and we can't see underwater or through heavy clouds
I think a lot of that has been done and done well in the first part of the field search.
there are more comments in the forums there... in that 5907 thread above.
I see that I'm not allowed active links yet... OK... Just use cut and paste it seems... works. correct for the dots. old school.
Several of us are watching here... a few feel that they are not likely to sign in... I told them it wasn't a closed board, for pilots,
I got to do it because I used to be... eyes degraded so no more PIC.... Also long time SAR so I have a bit of insight into things... I will be back.
Will look for visitors over there... last two of my user name will hint at who I am there... ha.