PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Aircraft Pyrenees Crash Spain
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 14:42
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
I flew tp LESO VFR a couple of times coming from Spain , , first question coming to my mind why would you overfly exactly the top of the highest obstacle in the area ? Likely to encounter turbulence . waves or even rotors , plus Vultures ( a real danger in the area) If they were as reported 2 experienced pilots make even less sense, as the valley below is wide and flat until the sea..One reason might be they were on a direct route and did not want to deviate because , either fuel ( but unlikely looking at the gauges on the photos) , but yes maybe the Generator U/S ( or more likely fuse ) then battery getting low, wanting to keep SSR and VHF on and minimize air time ,, etc,, But why keep the strobe for instance. after take off ? , a great energy pumper .
I also see they had a Garmin GPS likely with terrain info, they surely got into the red , unless they switch it off to save power in the end.. or it was was something else that brought them here.
We probably will never know.
Very sad indeed . RIP .
Comms are on the GPS so I doubt it would be switched off.
Its been a while since I flew with a G430/530 but I think terrain is an optional feature. Not many VFR aircraft have it as it costs extra and is not needed.