PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get out of aviation now – further important information
Old 26th Jan 2019, 08:32
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clare:

Might surprise you guys but I've been in business successfully for decades without taking advice from strangers on the internet
Actually I do believe you.

2018 was a record breaking year for my GA company, 2019 looks to be even better, bankruptcy not an option as this business is debt free and owns all capital assets outright. I could walk away tomorrow, I chose not to, no third party will ever make that decision for me and certainly not a PPL holder on the internet. My super is largely in my aircraft so I do wish that people like DS would stop trying to devalue this industry, personnel and assets. You've made your pile and good on you now why not enjoy your retirement, show some respect to the professionals and let us get on with it?
You bet. 2019 looks awesome.

Take YMMB: those schools that make a comfortable profit are the ones that operate a fleet of aircraft that they happen to own. Those that thrive operate economical 2-seaters for ab-initio students and offer rates that are around $40-50/h cheaper than conventional 172s and PA28s while being more cost effective to operate, and they reinvest their earnings into, e.g. marketing and instructors who speak foreign languages such as Mandarin.

RA registered LSAs are netting between $60/h and $70/h when everything is paid for. Those who claim they can't make money with those figures should take a reality check. Moreover, flight instructors are mostly young, underpaid relative to other occupations requiring similar qualifications but highly passionate and out within 2 years when new recruits come in. As always, those that don't have the cash upfront end up paying a lot more for anything. The very same goes for students who can't afford to fly in their own aircraft.

With the Aussie ($) set for a weaker course on assumptions that RBA will cut rates in 2019, I'd bet my chips on an increase in foreign students coming to Australia for flight training.