PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 06:09
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willing to learn

Ferris, CG, ****zu Tonka et al.

I have been flying about 22 years now. In that time the aircraft have stayed the same (except my grumman just gets faster), the country has stayed the same, the weather has stayed the same but the rules have changed 12,345,987 times.

In that time a LABOR Government (Keating, cleverly disguised as a Liberal Prime Minister) introduced 'user pays' (aka handing over cash cow airports to ya mates). CAA stuffed up and got split. AsA decided it was a 'commercial service provider' and introduced big fees to cover 'a return to Government' and so naturally, PPLs and bottom end GA (like Ag, air taxis etc) who in most cases neither cause a service to be needed or need it themselves, opted out.

CASA stuffed up next, but haven't been split again yet

The 'New Liberal' Government got even more carried away, airports were handed over for a song to shopping center developers and hotel chains. GA in Townsville died a slow death. In Canberra activity stalled. Some airport owners, like the Cairns Port Authority, got smart, introduced realistic fees and are reaping the rewards of a massive GA service industry paying rent on the airport.

AAL in Townsville charge huge and spurious fees, but they are lucky to have the Army!!! GA there is all but extinct!!!

And yeah, I'll admit, I have never been taught to orbit after "remain OCTA" in either my PPL, NVFR, PIFR or CPL flying. To me it means 'Remain OCTA' and thats what I do.

But I am willing to learn, do you guys actually have any centers where it is warm I will come and watch for a day if you invite me.

And comrade Ferris, I hope I've laid my cards on the table face up enough for you to see where my politics re user pays sit.

Comrade AK