PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get out of aviation now – further important information
Old 25th Jan 2019, 23:50
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
I recall that forever the standard maxim is if you want to make a small fortune in aviation... you know the rest

That is not to say conditions and environment at the moment aren't especially hard but I would always advise that if you want to get into aviation (as a career or business) you do it because you want to do it, not to make a lot of money.

Can't say I know of many people who made themselves millionaires (at least sustainable millionaires) in aviation in Oz. Even during the mythical 'golden years' when aviation was (supposedly) encouraged by government there were very few who made it rich in aviation (there would be a plethora during those times and after who went belly up though losing everything).

As for Dick's comments I take it as hyperbole rather than some sinister plot. I take them to mean he sees things as grim at the moment and something needs to be done or the industry is in peril.

My advice to people would be the same as always - get into GA with your eyes open and because you want to do it because you have a passion but be aware you are taking a substantial financial risk (as always because many GA businesses have launched and failed over decades) and at the moment there is a lot of turmoil in the industry.

I cannot see a golden age of aviation emerging even if the regulator and government got sensible but it sure could be better. I would be very happy if a good GA business, run well and with passion would be a viable and sustainable choice and under such conditions it would be easy to maintain the passion. That is what I would like to see happen. You shouldn't expect to make your fortune though**.

my 2c

** If you just want to make money, skip aviation, my advice would be - become a property developer. Look at airports around the country and start telling local councils how much money they could make/save and how many local jobs would arise if somehow the local aerodrome became an industrial park or retail centre. But get in quick 'cause I think there a lot of people starting to see that opportunity