PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam and Cambodia currencies.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2019, 14:30
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 30/30 Green Light
Hi YT, VND are not readily obtainable, (I'm in OZ) outside VN and only of limited use in neighbouring countries. I carry 2 separate Debit cards in, (my case), AUD for "insurance" purposes. I tried the banks prepaid cards ex Australia and found the fees to be exorbitant hence the Debit cards.Fees for use at ATM's are reasonable and as previously said let your bank do the FX. I don't use CC's but carry them for emergencies, cash is King. Each trip I take USD 100 in small notes ($20's $5's) and make sure they are pristine. Dirty or torn,excessively folded and they won't accept them. Going through Saigon, get a taxi voucher from just inside the terminal. You'll be swamped by guys touting "cheap" taxis, but they won't be when you get to your destination! I stick to Mai Linh or Vinasun taxis and never had a problem. Be wary of your change when shopping in markets etc. as the number of zeros looks impressive but its easy to have a 10000 slipped in for a 100000 especially when you're not that familiar with the currency.Great country, lovely friendly people and the food is fantastic. The price of the local "bia hoi" (beer) is also pretty attractive on a hot humid day! I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. Cambodia is a fantastic place as well. Chuc may man, thu'ong thuc.!! Trip # 9 coming up for me in 3 months. Cheers!!
Good advice! Be prepared to refuse (politely) poor quality notes in change, but if you do end up with tatty currency, use it for tips (I usually save mine up and leave them in an envelope in the hotel annotated "Housekeeping" or use them for taxi driver tips) - the locals don't have the same problems shifting poor condition notes as visitors do, but be aware that shops, restaurants, bars etc. will not want to accept them. Not long until the next time for me either😁. Hope you enjoy it.