PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber command memorial targeted again by vandals
Old 24th Jan 2019, 11:43
SASless

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
We are having a similar problem in this country where the rabid left are demanding removal of anything to do with the Confederacy , Christopher Columbus or any of the Founding Fathers who owned Slaves.

They do not care about History, context, or the rule of law.

Sadly, our political leadership is surrendering to that movement of radical groups.

We are one generation from the end of the great experiment and it is not going to be pretty when it happens.

So far the Left have not discovered the Gettysburg Battlefield where there are monuments and markers for Units from both sides, Union and Confederacy, that help explain what happened over the three days of the Battle that determined the outcome of the American Civil War.

If we follow what the Left wants....then all of the Confederate Monuments will be removed if they have their way.

How do we teach our Children the history that defines our Nations if we cover up, hide, deny, or falsify reality?

Yes, Bomber Command killed a lot of people in the course of the War.....but it was part of an unlimited war of survival of our governments and also the very foundations of our freedoms.

War is an ugly business and we should remember that it takes great sacrifice when it happens, sacrifice on both sides in the form of human lives.

Defacing, destroying, or removing Monuments is not the way to express one's views.

Those Bomber Command Crews were no less gallant than the Confederate Troops who attacked the Union lines on the final day of the Gettysburg Battle and I think honoring those Men is the exact right thing to do.

My family friend who flew Bombers for the RCAF during War was as honorable a Man as I have ever known....and was one of the quiet ones who was proud of his service and understood why it was necessary to do what he did during the War.

He survived Thirty-Three Missions when so many did not.....he was one of them that took the fight to the enemy when it had to be done.

Yes....I see that Memorial as being a very important symbol of why there is the freedom in Great Britain there is today and honoring the Men that stood up when needed is the right thing to do.

P.S. Where do I send that Baseball Bat?