PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excessive personal info requested on applications
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 00:12
delarue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banana Joe
They took the GDPR matter very seriously and the Director of Flight Ops handed me all the copies of my certificates and documents and made personally sure all were erased from their database.
That is very good to hear and definitely the way it has to be done. Would you be able to share the name of this organisation, so I and others know who "the good guys" are, should we come across them?

The most "instrusive" so far have been British operators with questions about my ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and a few weird questions I had never been asked before.
Yeah I'm in two minds about those. The intention is good but it's just a daft way of dealing with things and it just perpetuates the idea that people are different in completely arbitrary ways (look at the weird and totally unscientific "ethnicities" that they come up with). I either never fill that in (should be voluntary) or put random nonsense. Those forms are also a major GDPR minefield.

Anyway, I would just like to know if anyone knows whether there is a clearly valid reason for demanding things like copies of personal IDs, intimate details such as where one has completed their primary / secondary education, and headshots.

I'll leave this thread open for a week or so and if no compelling reasons have been put forward I'll start reporting the cases I have come across to the relevant data protection agencies (career.aero is just one instance amongst others, though perhaps the most blatant. Being Germans they should know a lot better).