PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st class medical with septal perforation
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 21:32
andrewhuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st class medical with septal perforation

Hello there, I have a bit of an unorthodox/embarrasing question to ask. Currently I'm at a university studying aviation and soon I'll have to do my 1st class medical to start doing my licence. From what I've read airline pilots have to go through quite rigorous medical test and that's where I'm worried.

Basically, when I about 11-12yrs old I've been hit with a football to the face. If I remember correctly my nose wasn't broken, but few months after that I noticed I have a tiny hole in my nasal septum. There was some "good stuff" gathering round it so like any stupid child would do, I started picking it. I kept doing it for nearly 4 years and I developed a roughly 2cm x 0.7cm hole in nose. I haven't seen a doctor about it because it didn't really cause me any invonvenience. I don't snore, I never had any nosebleeds, no headaches, no problems with sinuses there's no pain whatsoever and I can breathe perfectly fine. Also no problems with ears and regulating pressure, I've been on a plane multiple times and never felt any discomfort.
It only got me worried now after reading some of the requirements for 1st class medical:

(2) A comprehensive ear, nose and throat examination shall be undertaken for the initial issue of a class 1 medical certificate and periodically thereafter when clinically indicated.

(a) Applicants shall not possess any abnormality of the function of the ears, nose, sinuses or throat, including oral cavity, teeth and larynx, or any active pathological condition, congenital or acquired, acute or chronic, or any sequelae of surgery or trauma which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the applicable licence(s)

So does this basically mean that me being stupid back in the day and picking my nose for waay too long can stop me from becoming a pilot? Anyone knows any similar cases? Is it a definite no, or would it depend on the doctor? I'm just depressed right now because it my stupidity will stop me from becoming a pilot I'll simply have no idea what to do with myself.