PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP go rogue
Thread: AFAP go rogue
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 02:00
Capt Colonial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon man
The only problem with that comment is I don’t bring it up first they do. Secondly, the pilots going to the 787 off the 747 are going with a gun at their head, they can’t commute any more it’s become impossible, don’t believe me then ask them, they don’t want to go. Lastly, you don’t want to comment on the 35% productivity you gave away, I wonder why?
That’s very true! Commuting is a dead rabbit nowadays for LongHaul Pilots. Domestic Staff Travel means nothing, whether you have three years’ service of 33 years! I know three Pilots who have jumped to the B-787 of recent as the commuting to and from Sydney became intolerable. You will see more of it too!

The lads I meet on the B-787 are not happy campers – a lot of that discomfort could be because the type is in a constant state of Training-Flux and the flying is needed for Training which disrupts a lot of patterns and lifestyles. Could also be that they work much harder to get their dollars and comparatively have less time-off after LongHaul operations. Fairly crappy deal when you analyse it in comparison to other LongHaul fleets!

When the B-787 Sydney Base opens, and Chicago hits the mix that may not help either as there is a load of Pilots about to be Rinned from the B-747.

I say go AFAP and colleagues at JQ for better pay and T & C's. Don’t trust AIPA is you first smart and strategic move! AIPA Executive’s and a few on the self-interest AIPA Committee have far too much in invested interests in seeing themselves as the third tier of Qantas Management or a historic Pathway to a Flight operations position… then working against their Colleagues!