PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wonderful JU 52 about to be grounded .... by LH‘s saving frenzy?
Old 21st Jan 2019, 12:57
BEA 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OvertHawk
I can understand why a large brand like LH would wish to distance themselves from perceived risk in operating this kind of aircraft, but to say that they cannot operate and carry passengers safely is simply not correct.

With the correct procedures, maintenance, training and support aircraft like the DC3, JU-52, DH Dragon Rapide etc. can (and I hope will) fly passengers safely for decades to come.

OH
Overt Hawk, the point is not that aircraft can not be kept in flying condition, this we all know. But you can not replicate air transport of the period. I am a airline historian,
and I was very lucky to have travelled on all the Douglas aircraft ( except DC 5 ) from DC 3 to DC 10 in airline service, this is something you can not bring back. All you can offer, is joy rides. Even D-AQUI is a very modern aircraft, more or less a Airbus type in a old shell. If you are really interested in air travel in the old days, I recommend you read the book " Croydon to Concorde " by Captain RE Gillman. It is worth more than a hundred joy rides. Join him on a flight into Cork, jump seating on a Jupiter Class 52 on a foggy day.