PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 controlability-questions & surprises.
Old 21st Jan 2019, 04:20
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

Good points, 'bird. And I don't like all the mechanical stuff for feel that is a function of the FCC boxes and such. Seems very complicated. And I still hang on to some kinda mechanical failure right at the end game, as up until then the crew was able to trim with the switches and then have the 5 second delay before Hal trimmed nose down. Hell, it could have even been a thermal problem with that electric motor, as how many cycles in a 7 or 8 minute period did they test?

Any 'bus drivers here? Explain to us your "feel". From what we saw in the books few years back, it looks about like the Viper. In other words, none except for a spring!!! The pilot "feels" what the plane is doing for the most part. Of course, the 'bus pilot commands an attitude-corrected gee and a modified roll rate. But I can not find "force feedback" on the two sticks.

Gums sends...

And I still hang on to some kinda mechanical failure right at the end game, as up until then the crew was able to trim with the switches and then have the 5 second delay before Hal trimmed nose down.
I remember reading somewhere that it looked like the PIC had been flying and correcting the autotrim inputs, but just before the end handed control to the FO, presumably to troubleshoot. It said the FO made small trim inputs counter to the autotrim, but each of those inputs allowed the autotrim to add the full 2.5(?) units of AND, and no one switched off the autotrim. I am afraid the final result will find no difference in problems from the previous leg, just a different outcome.

As a (somewhat reluctant) bus driver myself, the systems are too different to make a valid comparison, for me at least!