PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bendix FCU/GOV fundamental question
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 00:40
autojohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bendix FCU/GOV fundamental question

OK, I'm a retired dude having fun learning to fly the jetranger. But I'm clearly not understanding how the governor works, or I'm missing something basic. Help appreciated!

My assumptions are based on a diagram by Terry Mooney, Northern Lights College. Because I'm new to PPRuNe, it doesn't seem to let me attach or embed the image. (any hints for how to get around this? the diagram is pretty key )

With my current understanding, I imagine these scenarios...

Scenario 0 - steady state
I'm flying along straight and level with 100% N2
The N2 governor must be "on speed", i.e. the N2 governor servo is somewhat open, Pg is less than Pr and the differential is suppressing the FCU from additional acceleration.

Scenario A -
  1. I click the INCR switch
  2. The governor linkage moves so as to increase the spring tension on the N2 governor flyweight assembly
  3. The greater spring pressure closes the Pr orifice, reducing the Pr-Pg differential
  4. The smaller differential on the Pr-Pg diaphragm effectively adds spring tension to the N1 governor
  5. The N1 governor servo closes a bit allowing the governor bellows to contract and meter a bit more fuel
  6. N1 increases which, in turn drives N2 higher
  7. THis returns to equilibrium when the N2 governor again reaches "on speed", i.e. when N2 rises enough to spin the flyweights fast enough to vent Pg enough to suppress the FCU from acceleration.
  8. At the new equilibrium, N2 RPM is now greater than in Scenario 0 say 102%

Scenario B -
  1. I raise the collective a smidge - (suppose just enough to be equivalent to the INCR effect in scenario A)
  2. This creates additional lift and drag which will tend to pull down Nr/N2 shortly, but the governor doesn't know this.
    (From the governor's perspective this looks just like scenario A, and essentially this is why I'm confused, everything looks just like the INCR scenario, but the end result is different)
  3. The governor linkage moves so as to increase the spring tension on the N2 governor flyweight assembly (it's just coming from the collective not the electronic linear actuator)
  4. The greater spring pressure closes the Pr orifice, reducing the Pr-Pg differential
  5. The smaller differential on the Pr-Pg diaphragm effectively adds spring tension to the N1 governor
  6. The N1 governor servo closes a bit allowing the governor bellows to contract and meter a bit more fuel
  7. N1 increases which, in turn drives N2 higher
    (in the interim N2 may have drooped, but it's my understanding that this collective linkage is intended to anticipate and minimize the droop.
  8. THis returns to equilibrium when the N2 governor again reaches "on speed", i.e. when N2 rises enough to spin the flyweights fast enough to vent Pg enough to suppress the FCU from acceleration.
  9. Why isn't the new equilibrium RPM higher than 100%
    Even if the N2 increase and drag-caused droop offset each other during the transient, the governor flyweight assembly now has a higher set point. I expect equilibrium to only be reached at 102% again

Interestingly, Phil Croucher in the "Bell 206 book", compares the Pr-Pg signal to the accelerator pump in a carburetor and calls it a "false droop signal". But an accelerator pump is a momentary fuel injection whereas in this system the N2 set point is changed until the next adjustment.

What am I missing?