PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your first "I learned something from that" story?
Old 18th Jan 2019, 07:28
YorkshireTyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as a new pilot, but still a lesson learned. A few years ago I bought a Druine Turbulent microlight, single seater homebuilt, but not by me, and after taking delivery I had to wait a few days for the weather to improve, but finally got to play with my new toy and went to an almost deserted nearby grass airfield with two runway vectors, where there was no one to watch me fly a tailwheel aircraft again, after a long absence. I perfected the technique of completing two touch and go's from each approach - with 1500m available and only about 300m needed each time, and no flaps or trim to re-set, this is hardly a challenge. Three-point landings, wheel landings, side-slipping to final, calm Summer evening take off on 17, land on 31, circle to 35, circle to 13, circle to 17 - hey ! this is almost as good as taking a 747 into Hong Kong - and there is never anyone there ! Kids - Don't Try This At Home.

After about 3 weeks a club member asked me to fly his wife in the club C-152 with a camera, to photograph their own aircraft air to air. On landing there was film to spare and they offered to reciprocate with photographs of me, so off we went - formation flying now - another memory from the past.

They landed back ahead of me, but when I was downwind for the short grass rwy, and being used to 3,000m of sealed, International runways, and latterly 1500m at the neighbouring field, the 460m of grass looked awfully short this time, and I considered myself too close, and too high , so flew most of the circuit with the throttle fully closed. (yes, I did remember Carb. heat ) That rwy. is guarded by a stand of tall gums, over which I now know there is permanent downdraft, almost like a standing wave. Being correctly positioned on short final, the downdraft required a touch of throttle - at which point the engine stopped. S..t !

Check fuel on, switches on, keep airspeed, fly the aeroplane - don't stetch a glide. To the right of the now unreachable threshold was a fairly long paddock, which had a mound of winter feed covered in tarpaulin and rubber tyres at the end, at least the tyres would ensure a reasonably soft deceleration - maybe. Unfortunately a pair of trees were in the way and I was convinced that I couldn't squeeze through and so would take the wings off, so it was down to ground level and minimum speed, but in fact I got through with room to spare. Following the best landing of my life I hit a rut and dinged the prop.

I got out cursing heartily, set some chocks, swung the prop, and the engine started immediately, then walked over to the flying club where my friends were expecting me to taxy in behind them instead of slouching dejectedly across the field, dangling my headset. We all went back, the farmer obligingly removed some of his wire strand fence posts, and we pushed my aircraft back to the hangar. And had a beer.

“Carb. icing " said the Bar Room pundits, sagely, but I didn't really believe that, I know one can never say it isn't that sort of day, but it wasn't that sort day - I don't think. Over the next few weeks I had the prop repaired, the engine, carb.,magnetos, fuel pump and fuel lines checked over and via the Internet contacted the UK Tiger Club, who run a fleet of Tiger Moths and Turbulents. " Yes" they said, " It’s happened to us and we recommend a small trickle of power be held right into the flare " I now have a large red line painted on my rpm. gauge, below which I never reduce - ever - until over the hedge.

After a few confidence reassuring flights I decided to see how high I could get - over, or near to, the airfield of course. Achieving 10,000 ft. I was cold and bored - it took a long time - so decided to go home. I pulled the power off and the cyl. head temp. dropped back to the stop. Can't do that. Restored some power and dropped the nose with similar result. Hmm ? Eventually it took me nearly as long to slowly descend with some power on, as to climb up there.

Starting my Turbulent has always been a challenge, those who have owned VW cars will recall having to keep the starter turning and pump the throttle until the thing sprang into life, but with no electric starter, not even an impulse magneto, swinging the prop will only give you one compression at a time, at a time, at a time etc.

When I win the Lottery I'll employ an engineer who will have the aircraft ( cleaned ) stood outside the hangar with the engine idling, so that I can drive up and jump in with a cheery wave and a cry of " back in an hour, make yourself a cup of tea" . The engine has to be started with half choke selected, and if successful one should then kill the choke and immediately open the throttle, the engine stops. Not warm enough.

In retrospect I think I let the engine get too cold and had I grabbed a handful of choke it might have sprung back into life - maybe. I'm not inclined to try and prove the theory and anyway I was too busy flying the aeroplane - always the first priority.

What have I learned ? ( re-learned ? ) Always assume that the engine is going to stop at the worst possible moment and have a cunning plan ready, it isn't the first engine failure I've experienced, but previously I had a few spares to rely on !

Fly the Aeroplane, they actually glide quite well, and remember - glider pilots always have an engine-out landing and they survive ! Usually.

Last edited by YorkshireTyke; 18th Jan 2019 at 21:31.