PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2019, 22:13
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craig, Impressive work once more. Your animations make the dry textual accounts come alive and much easier to understand. Personally, I don't think the initial investigation was flawed so much as certain facts being glossed over at the time because they were so obvious as to be unworthy of mention.

As a crude comparison consider a printed music score compared to the composers' original handwritten score. Both my contain the same information, but the pressure with which the handwritten notes were made and corrections added give added insight into the throughts of the composer at the time.

Similarly we have the same problem with ancient artifacts. There have been numerous carefully crafted metal dodecahedrons recovered from Roman archeological sites, so many that they may be considered common household objects. Clearly they had some common and useful purpose but they were so unremarkable at the time that there is no written record of what they were used for. With the passage of time the cultural knowledge has been lost and currently nobody knows what they were used for.

I think that you have done fantastically well to fill in the gaps in the account to render it more in line with modern accident reports and also to have gone some way to showing that the investigators at the time really did know what they were doing even if the historical printed accounts don't fit with current best practice.