PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air Boeing 737MAX8 stuck in Iran
Old 16th Jan 2019, 19:40
Capt Ecureuil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe le Taxi
Precisely, calypso. In my book, the immediate 'aviate, navigate, communicate', includes pointing in the direction of a friendly diversion field, whilst dealing with an emergency. Even if you end up doubling back after 50 miles to where you were originally, you've not significantly extended the flight time, but more likely, you are now considerably closer to that friendly field. Quite possibly the crew had only known Europe and a bit beyond, but doing long haul over extremely inhospitable areas (physically and politically) gives appreciation that many of the blue circles on the ND are places you really really don't want to put your passengers, crew and aeroplane (unless on fire). Some general knowledge also helps on that count.
I consider the Iranians to be friendly, all my dealings with Iran have been more than friendly.

Just wondering all those questioning (and almost criticising) the commanders decision know exactly what was going on at the time and exactly where the aircraft was when the event happened. What airway and position was it? To get to a so called "friendly" airfield from Shiraz is a good 200 miles to either Kuwait, Damman (Ha! friendly??), or Bahrain with over 12000ft MSA.

I'll say it again... It's Trump causing the problem not the Iranian people