PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2003, 13:42
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snarek

Looks like this whole thing has been a great learning experience for you, right? I bet you now know a whole lot more about the big picture (including how controllers do their job). But you still don't understand completely. For instance, if you had any idea about the sort of regime ATC works under, you would realise that the phrase "remain OCTA" can mean precisely "do an orbit where you are until I can get your details", however the controller can't just come out and say that because he then assumes (some) liability for whatever you then do (eg. prang into someone else). It doesn't mean the controller is being "grumpy". Likewise, if your mate couldn't keep control of his aircraft (due turb or any other reason), I would've been expected to be informed of the fact (if I was the ATCO concerned). Someone randomly entering and leaving CTA is going to get chipped. Although not under NAS, because VFRs never have any reason to use the radio or know what frequency is where, right?

Keep learning though.

I also feel obliged to say something about your last comment ('american service'), as I feel it has a lot to do with this whole NAS thing.
The attitude of aus ATC to VFR is not what it could be. And that is induced by this whole user pays philosophy. ATC has been forced to staff and provide services to enroute aircaft that AsA doesn't get paid for. Flight service was dismantled and the workload placed onto ATCs, who received no recognition or recompense. I have no doubt that this led to a certain amount of resentment towards lighties. As a PPL, I used to be amazed upon visiting Centre at how little of the operation was directed at the VFR end of town. But when I became an ATC, I realised that it's the heavy metal that pays the bills. Which brings me to what IMHO opinion is wrong with the whole system. ALL AIRSPACE USERS have to be included for the system to work. The yanks know this, and their airspace and CHARGING REGIME is geared for it. They consider their airspace important enough to pay for it as a community. Subsequently, the whole community is entitled to service. This seems to have been lost on the NAS proponents. They want to be able to opt out and not pay. Well, I'd argue that they already pay (via things like fuel tax, and selling off public airports and then being charged for their use ) and the nature of air travel requiresinclusion.
An inclusive system. Those pushing for anything else are damaging their country.

Last edited by ferris; 21st Oct 2003 at 14:07.