View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2019, 02:18
Pilot DAR

Tailwheel planes (and landing techniques) are 'broadly' similar - the advice to go in a cub (or even a Tiger Moth) is good.
Agreed. I've only flown one "lighter than certified" tailwheel airplane, it was single place, so I had to train myself. In hind sight, I can say that heavier taildraggers may be a little more stable, and easier to learn on. Lighter airplanes can change direction faster, so you must be more alert. Also, instruction you may find in a certified taildragger has a greater chance of being more experienced, simply because the certified taildragger is probably more costly, and insured with an insurer who takes more interest in who's doing the training in it.

Do not be afraid of taildraggers. They demand more attention from their pilot, particularly in directional control on the ground, and you must decide what type of landing you are doing, or the taildragger will decide for you, and it won't be pretty. As long as you tell the taildragger who's boss, and keep flying it with purpose until it's parked, you'll be fine.